When you look ahead to what’s coming this holiday season, do you see the warm glow of festive lights or the headlight of an oncoming train? Many of us look forward to this time of year with great anticipation and for good reason! We spend time with friends and family, give and receive tokens of affection and appreciation, and see the magic twinkle in the eyes of children.
But we also know that the holiday season is a super hectic time, with schedules stuffed fuller than Santa’s sack. It’s supposed to be the most wonderful but one American survey showed that a jaw-dropping 88% of respondents think the holidays are the most stressful time of year! It’s time for that to change.
Make this holiday season less stressful and more enjoyable by spending a little time preparing yourSELF for what’s to come, body, mind, and soul.
Get the Physical Body Ready for What’s to Come
The body takes a beating during busy and over-scheduled times. It’s physically exhausting to get all the gifts checked off your list, hang decorations, and throw or attend holiday parties. And don’t even get us started on the decadent or just plain fast and convenient foods that will be eaten far more frequently than usual.
Get your physical body ready for what’s to come by putting a priority on moving your body. Of course, there are endless ways to get physical exercise. We recommend the proactive step of putting your movement practice on your calendar from now until the new year.
- Decide how many days per week you want to exercise, what time of day you want to do it, and block that time off on your calendar.
- Plan for a mix of methods and locations, such as cardio, strengthening, lengthening at home, outdoors, and in the studio
- Book sessions through the new year if possible with your studio of choice in advance (our schedule is right here! [LINK TO SCHEDULE])
Mindset Work to Prep for the Holidays
Mind over matter is absolutely real but in order to actually achieve it, you have to practice some mindset work. Don’t wait until you are overwhelmed and overbooked to put this practice into place. Decide now what you want your holidays to look like from a mental perspective. Get there with a few key actions.
- Say No: If there is ever a time to practice setting boundaries, the holidays are it! Free your mental load by saying no. You don’t have to accept every invitation and you don’t have to volunteer for every project. Say no.
- Be Still: Give yourself time and space to be quiet, alone, and still. Naps work wonders. Meditation and reflection do, too.
- Affirm: Pick an affirmation that speaks to you for the season, write it down, and put it on your mirror or fridge. Read it, repeat it, believe it.
Take Your Soul into Account for the Holidays
The desire to give back is an absolutely wonderful motivation during the holidays. Fill your soul with purpose and pleasure by choosing a charity, volunteer opportunity, family to sponsor, or cause to contribute to this holiday season. Take time before things get busy researching options and commit to the ways you want to give back. Just don’t over-commit. (See above…and say no.)
One of the significant sources of stress during the holidays is gift giving. The financial strain can cause serious concern. On top of that, we tend to put a great deal of pressure on ourselves to find just the right gift for all the special someones on our list. This year give yourself grace. You don’t have to get a gift for everyone. You don’t have to blow people away with your thoughtful selection. Be kind to yourself and give yourself some slack. Your soul will thank you.
Prepare Your Whole Self–Body, Mind, and Soul–at the Studio
If the idea of doing all this self work ahead of such a stressful time is raising your blood pressure, we have great news. At Love Pilates we can support your body, mind, and soul all at once!
Our commitment to you is to deliver sessions that move your body, clear your mind, and soothe your soul all season long. Check out our schedule here [LINK TO SCHEDULE]. We are taking advance bookings all the way through the new year. Need a new package? We’ve got you covered on that front, too. Check out your options here [LINK TO PACKAGES].